I'm looking for a good inn to inn hike that I would feel safe walking alone.  Moderate to strenuous, 8+ miles a day, in early April.  I will get the guides here (they look great!) and we're moving to California so they will get good use - but since we're going to be in California shortly and permanently, open to other options as well.  Thank you all in advance for your insights!  Happy hiking

You need to be a member of Walkabout California to add comments!

Join Walkabout California

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Devon,

We applaud your decision to celebrate your move to California with an hike from inn-to-inn.  The Walkabouts in the books are 2-5 days.  If you want to spend a week, you can stay over for a day or two or piece two Walkabouts together.

April is good time of year.  The rainy season is ending.  The mountains will still be under 20 feet of snow, so you will want to hike the coast.

Here are a couple of ideas.  If you will be coming to Northern California, try the Marin Coast Walkabout (chapter one of Walkabout Northern California: Hiking Inn to Inn).  It starts in the Marin Headlands, just north of SF and hikes to Point Reyes National Seashore.  This is  spectacular coastline with interesting seaside villages, great inns and dining.  If you have the time, stay in Olema on the edge of Point Reyes and spend a few days exploring the park.

If you are coming to Southern California, you could combine the Santa Catalina to Newport Beach and the Newport Beach to San Clemente Walkabout (chapters 3 and 4 of Malibu to Mexico: Hiking Inn to Inn on the Southern California Coast).  Spend a few days on the island.  It is remarkable and intoxicating.  Then hike south and immerse yourself in SoCal beach life - great food, fun towns, and a surprising amount of wildlife.

There are several more options you might want to explore.  Many women have taken these hikes solo and have felt safe (men too). 

Please let me know if you have any more questions, and welcome to California.

Happy Hiking

Tom Courtney

Hiker and Author

Walkabout California

www.WalkaboutCalifornia.com

This reply was deleted.