My husband, two daughters in mid 20's and I would like to hike Inn to Inn and possible make it a year to year thing until completed. We are coming from Oregon and would possible all fly in and meet then start hike. any suggestions. I have southern cali book and just ordered northern cali book.so many choices. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would say we are more medium to advance hikers.thank you for any input. 

You need to be a member of Walkabout California to add comments!

Join Walkabout California

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Cheryl,

September is wonderful for an  inn-to-inn hike in both Northern and Southern California.  Here are a few ideas.

We get some of the nicest weather of the year along the Northern California Coast in Sept.  Days are warm, and the Pacific has warmed up enough for swimming.   The Marin Coast hike (Chapter 1) is a 4 day, 41 mile walkabout from the Marin Headlands to Point Reyes National Seashore.  You'll hike along a spectacular coastline and through redwood forests.  Along the way, you can enjoy fun coastal hamlets, cool inns, and great dining.    It ends in Olema, and you could spend a fifth day exploring Pt. Reyes, or you could spend an extra day in any one of the coastal villages along the way.

The hike from San Francisco to Half Moon Bay (Chapter 7) is also a beautiful coastal walk, 30 miles over 4 hiking days.  It is a bit easier than the Marin Coast hike.

If you are looking for something more challenging, you might want to head up to the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  "Crossing the Sierra on the Emigrant Trail" (Chapter 2) is a 3-day, 42-mile walkabout.  It has one 19 mile day with elevation gain and loss.  You'll stay in three delightful mountain resorts.  Any one of them would be a nice place to stay for a few days.  Mountain weather is unpredictable, but Sept. is usually wonderful in the high country.

September can be hot inland in Southern California, but it usually is sublime along the coast - mild days and balmy nights.  You will probably want to jump in the Pacific several times a day.  I hesitate to recommend a single walkabout, because any one of the walkabouts in "Walkabout Malibu to Mexico: Hiking Inn to Inn" would be good.  For a Southern California Coast immersion, you might want to take the ferry to Santa Catalina Island and explore for a day or two, return to Long Beach and start hiking south (Chapter 3) along classic surfing and swimming beaches.  Along the way, you'll visit some very fun seaside towns.

These are just a few options that would be good for September.  I hope you and your family have a great walkabout.

Tom

• Thank you so much for your option I just received your northern california book. I think we will make plans for you suggestion of the Marin coast hike. We are so excited to hit the trails south of us.Thank you again and hope to post our experience for this year and possible years to come.

This reply was deleted.