Oceanside to La Jolla

We leave next weekend for this Walkabout.  Questions about crossing lagoons...Some notations are made in book about leaving the shore to cross lagoons.  But not every lagoon is addressed in this manner.  Should I assume that if there are no notes about leaving the shore the lagoons are passable at shoreline on foot...at low tide?  Day 1 - Loma Alta Marsh and Buena Vista Lagoon has no specific notation.  Day 2 mentions short detours to cross bridges over lagoons.  Day 3 mentions passing the Los Penasquitos Lagoon but doesn't mention leaving the shore specifically to pass, just if you want to visit Torrey Pines visitor center.

We will be hiking at low tide each day.  Thanks for any help you can provide.  Looking forward to the trip!

You need to be a member of Walkabout California to add comments!

Join Walkabout California

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Carla,

There should be no issues with any of the lagoons and marshes you mention.  All of them are blocked from the sea or have underground pipes.  You might need to wade across the shallow outlet of Buena Vista Lagoon, but I doubt it will be flowing to the sea.

If you are leaving Oceanside from the Marina, you will need to cross San Luis Rey River.  You can choose to cross it on the Pacific St. Bridge just upstream from the sea or if it is running low, you might want to wade across at the mouth.  Actually, I don't think it will even reach the sea this time of year.

Please let me know how it goes.  And if you feel inspired, please share your adventure with the Walkabout Community in the Forum section of WalkaboutCalifornia.com (bottom left had corner of the home page.) 

Have a great journey,

Tom

This reply was deleted.