Questions regarding SF to Half Moon Bay walk

Hi,

My friends and I are walking in April. We plan to walk it from Half Moon Bay to San Francisco as some of us a concerned about  walking on the sand on the first day. I'm wondering if anyone else has walked it in the reverse and if there's any issues with that.

Also, there was some concern about walking on HWY 1. Can anyone elaborate on that?

We have reservations at the Half Moon Bay Inn on the first night, Then The Light House Hostel on the 2nd, the Best Western in Pacifica on the 3rd then onto the Hostel in Fort Mason in Sf.  

We are very excited!

You need to be a member of Walkabout California to add comments!

Join Walkabout California

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Janis,

Hiking the Half Moon Bay to San Francisco Walkabout in April should be great.  There should be no issues with hiking north.  You will not need to hike along Hwy 1.  You will cross it a few times, but there is a traffic light in Pacifica and traffic is very light in Montara.  Heading north out of Pacifica, you will walk some quiet residential streets then drop down to the beach at Mussel Rock.  Try to avoid hitting that spot at high tide.  The hours around low tide are the best for beach hiking, and you will have 9 glorious miles!  April should be a great time for whale watching.  Gray whale moms and their calves will be heading north, moving slowly and close to shore. 

Your itinerary looks great.  Report back, and let the Walkabout Community know how it went.

Happy hiking,

Tom Courtney

This reply was deleted.