Walkabout California

Hiking Inn to Inn

We would like to hike for 3 days from Malibu- or north of Malibu of possible, through to Santa Monica. I am having a lot of trouble finding the trail to follow. Is it clearly marked? Is accommodation available on the way? Thank you for any help you can offer

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tania,

The first chapter of "Walkabout Malibu to Mexico: Hiking Inn to Inn on the Southern California Coast" is titled "Exploring the Malibu Coast."  It describes a 3-day hike from north of Malibu to Santa Monica.  As with all the walkabouts in this book, our trail hugs the coast.  The scenery is spectacular with a rugged coastline, secluded beaches alternating with popular strands.  The wildlife is extraordinary - migrating whales, seabirds, seals, porpoises, and sea lions. 

It starts at Leo Carrillo State Beach and takes 2 days to reach Malibu (day 1 -  79. miles, day 2 - 11.4 miles.)  The third day goes from Malibu to Santa Monica (12.4 miles.)  The trail hikes mostly beach and coastal bluffs.  There are also sections of coastal residential roads, and some sections of sidewalk along the PCH.   You will want to pay attention to the tides because there are some areas where you can only stay on the beach when the tide is low.  Otherwise, you will need to ascend to the bluffs.  The book has suggestions on where to find tidal information and when to set out in order to reach the tricky spots when the tide is low.

Yes, there are interesting accommodations along the way.  There is a list at the end of the chapter.  Some new inns have sprung up and old ones closed since the book was published.  so you will want to do a bit of research.  There are also interesting AirBnB options.

This is great 3-day inn-to-inn hike along a spectacular coastline.  It is challenging but definitely worth the journey.

Happy Hiking,

Tom

Thats awesome- Thank you! I have the book- I was just having trouble working out the trail. When I put it into any kind of map app it has me walking on Highway 1! Obviously we are not going this year now, but I will keep this for future reference. Thanks again. 

RSS

The Walkabout Books

© 2020   Created by Emily Courtney.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service