Replies

• I just got back from a backpacking trip in the area of Carson Pass this August, and it is really spectacular this year. There is no way you could have gone in April, because the snow was extremely deep this year, and the cold Spring meant it didn't even begin to melt until much later in the season than usual. There are still some patches of snow even now, but overall the conditions are just great. The weather is very comfortable. The streams are fuller than usual for this time of year. And the wildflowers are putting on the best show in a long time. If you get a chance, you should try to get up to the Sierras this summer. I hope you have an opportunity to do your hike.
  • Melanie,  I think you better put this one off until summer.  The trail climbs over Carson Pass at 8,576 feet and West Pass at 9,500.  It is a spectacular journey across the Sierra and back in time in the footsteps of the Pony Express and the 49ers.   The trail should still be under several feet of snow in April.

Tom Courtney

• I figured that out, too.  Are there any other of your hikes you would recommend for April? Thought about the beach one, but we really don't want to do one where we'd run into hoards of people...

This reply was deleted.