Urban walks/hikes

First off, great web-site! This really appeals to me because I have a family with toddlers, where I cannot do some of the more extreme activities that I used to do but still love enjoying the many beautiful places the Bay Area & CA has to offer. Something that excites me is Urban hikes/walks/bike. I like them because they are super environmental friendly, and easily accessible both location wise and economically. A great starting place is the Golden Gate Youth Hostel. From there you can walk thru Crissy Field, over the bridge and then into the Headlands. Once in the Headlands one can camp, stay at a hostel, or live it up in Sausalito. Extensions of this journey can take you too Angel Island via the ferry or continue on to Stinson (not sure of the exact route(s). Another idea is to hike from the SF hostel to Ocean beach. There is camping on the Presidio. While never doing so, I am sure there are other accommodations near Ocean Beach. I bet there are some really fantastic walks in the East Bay. Perhaps going form Berkeley to Orinda. Ok, just some thoughts. Cheers!

You need to be a member of Walkabout California to add comments!

Join Walkabout California

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We just took a great urban walk in San Francisco. From Union Square we at lunch at an outdoor cafe on Maiden Lane and then walked North on Grant through China Town and North Beach (San Francisco's Italian district). This stroll features allstar window shopping and people watching. Grant St ends with a great finale - Coit Tower. The $5 fee to go to the top is well worth it for the view, but you can appreciate the fantastic murals for free, a gift of the public works era.
  • One of our favorite urban San Francisco hikes is from Crissy Field along the entire Northern coastline of San Francisco. From Fort Mason you can walk West along the marina and beaches of Crissy field, up and over Fort Point, under the Golden Gate Bridge to Baker Beach. From Baker Beach we walk through the beautiful architecture of Sea Cliff to China Beach and on along the coastline of Land's End. From here I recommend a freshly brewed beer at the Beach Chalet either overlooking Ocean Beach or lounging in the Adirondack chairs out back.

Enjoy!

Emily
This reply was deleted.